Udhampur Travel Guide
places to visit
Places to visit
1. Vaishnodevi, one of the most reverred Hindu temples dedicated to Goddess Shakti
2. Shivkhori, cave shrine dedicate to Lord Shiva
3. Patnitop, a hill top tourist destination
4. Baba Dhansar
5. Siar Baba
7. Bhimgarh Fort
8. Kalika Temple
9. Mansar lake
10. Sanasar, 19 km from Patnitop, it is a hub of wilderness adventure camps and paragliding in Jammu.
11. Nathatop, 11 km from Patnitop, en route to Sanasar, it offers scenic views of the surrounding Shivalik range and the Brahma massif of the Kishtwar Himalayas. It is also popular site for paragliding.
Get there and around
get there and around
Udhampur is well connected by road as it is located on National Highway 1A to Srinagar, which is the only national highway that connects Srinagar to the rest of India.. Bus services (both private and state owned) are the most common mode of public transportation to and from Udampur. Frequent connections to the Kashmir Valley and Jammu are easily available.
The town was recently connected by the new Kashmir Railway line from Jammu which is part of a wider project to connect the Kashmir valley with the rest of India via a rail link. The "Uttar Sampark Kranti" train from New Delhi now runs on this link. Commuter trains linking Jammu and Udhampur also run on a daily basis and are quite popular. The rail link to Katra is also nearing completion. Once finished, many more trains from different parts of the country are expected to pass by the city. More recently, three more trains ("Delhi-Udhampur Special", "Jammu Mail" and "Malwa Express") were extended till Udhampur.
Udhampur is a city and a municipal council in Udhampur District in the Indian state of Jammu and Kashmir. It serves as the district capital and the Northern Command headquarter of the Indian Army. A Forward Base Support Unit (FBSU) of the Indian Air Force is also stationed there. Udhampur is used by the Armed Forces as a transit point between Jammu and Srinagar when travelling by road (National Highway Number 1A).