Thane Travel Guide
* Vihang Orchid, restaurant - at Ghodbunder road opposite Wonder Mall. A Multi cuisine restaurant where you can enjoy the dhaba on terrace.
* Tip top, fast food joint - near the railway station. A great place to try chaats and stuff. Rs. 15-50.
* Kunjvihar:, Near Thane railway station, Thane(W). A famous place for Jumbo (i.e. oversized) Vada-Paav, a typical Mumbaiya delicacy. You can have it either spicy or very spicy. Rs. 8/-.
* Woodland restaurant, L.B.S. Marg, Near Teen Hath Naka, Thane (W) Best South Indian food at very reasonable price. Very good service and simple and nice ambience.
* Tip top restaurant, L.B.S. Marg, Near Teen Hath Naka, Thane (W) (attached to Hotel Tip top) Great Gujarati/Rajasthani thali for Rs. 160. (Buffet for Rs. 110)
* Royal Challenge, Eastern Express highway service road, Near Nitin company, Thane (W). Vegetarian restaurant and bar.
* Sheetal Grille, Royal Inn, Old Agra road, Thane(W) Indian restaurant and bar.
* Oriental Spice, Shreeji Arcade, Almeda road, Panchpakhadi, Thane-400602 +91 22 2539 4917 +91 22 2542 1111. Chinese restaurant.
* Vardhana, Eastern Express highway service road, Near new RTO, Opp. Ramkrishna Nagar, Thane(W)- 400 601 (attached to Hotel Sharanam) Indian cuisine, has a lunch buffet. 12 noon-3.00PM, 7PM-11.30PM
* Raj Mata, Ram Maruti road, Thane. Famous for scrumptious vada pav, samosa pav. Be a sport and try this one out, and for a moment forget the calorie counting.
* Goras Upahar Gruh and Goras Gruha, Gokhale Road for authentic Marathi snacks & sweets from since 1977
* Mamledar Misal, Opposite Zilla Parishad Office
* Prashant corner Panchpakhadi thane (west) A great place to try chaats and stuff.
In addition, there is a McDonalds close to the railway station, another McDonalds at the Lake City Mall, a Pizza hut at Wonder mall (see Buy) and a Dominos near Hiranandani Estate.
* 'Indian Swad' at LBS marg. Good food and serves liquour till 2AM. Serves Indian and Oriental cuisine.
* 'Gopalashram' at LBS marg. Serves liquour till 6 AM...the food isn't that great but if you are hungry at 3AM...check the place out.
Hotel Vijaydurg:Famous for Malvani food with delicious & spicy prawns, crabs, shell masala, malvani thali with fried pamplet, bombil, halva etc. Solkadi to drink after food for digestion. Located at Majiwada before Flyover from station end.
* Moni's Near Malhar Talkies while entering Naupada market. It is a wonderful restaurant with a play area for children and fish tanks everywhere. The sizzlers are good if not the best and you could try the Royal Chicken sizzler if you ever do go there. The door man is rather peppy and the parking is always available on the adjacent road.
* PANCHALI. Is a Bar and a Restaurant. Is open till wee hours and is a better option than Gopal Ashram
* Amruta Restaurant, Naupada, Near Railway Station. Amazing Paav Bhaji. Will surely make you lick your fingers edit
* R-Mall, Opening , Ghodbunder Road. edit
* Maria Family Restaurant, Maria Plaza, Pokhran Rd. 2, Thane (W), . Maria Family Restaurant is one of the best family restaurant in thane. It is located at Majiwada juction, Having ample space of valet parking. Hotel is especially for Chinese, Indian & Punjabi dishes. There is different kitchen for Veg & Non Veg Food, & main attraction of children i.e. huge Fish Tank. edit
* Hotel Amantran, 1st floor Opp Jilha Parishad (Near Congress Office). Famous for Maharashtrian food, spicy and tasty menus with very good service and ambiance edit
* Hotel sindhudurga kinara, 5,Surekh aminity Complex,Savarkar Nagar,Thane,west (wagle estate)
places to visit
places to visit
* Masunda lake at the heart of the city
* St. John the Baptist Church - over a hundred years old, right next to Masunda Lake.
* Upvan lake, near Yeoor hills.
* Thane creek, along Ghodbunder road.
* Gadkari Rangayatan, along talao pali.
* Kopineshwar Mandir, along talao pali - one of the oldest temple in Thane. Was reconstructed by Chimajji Appa around 1750 A.D.
* Visit Malls, visit Wonder Mall, Lake City Mall at Ghodbunder Road, Eternity Mall at Teen Hathnaka and Korum Mall near Cadbury Junction.
Thane is a city in Konkan, Maharashtra. It is the headquarters of Thane district. Its biggest claim to fame is that the first railway line laid in India was from Bombay VT to Thane station.
Thane city, for all practical purposes is a suburb of Mumbai. But it is worth mentioning for the 30 lakes located within and around the city, earning it the sobriquet of Lake City. Apart from being a source of water for Thane and its larger neighbour, the lakes are also tourist attractions. The areas surrounding the city are beautiful. The scenic locales, old forts, boat rides and resorts make Thane a great getaway from Mumbai.
Get There and Around
Get in and around
The nearest airport is the Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport , Mumbai. Once you get off, you will need to take a taxi or hire a car. The distance to Thane is about 36 kilometers (22 miles), the drive can take between 45 to 75 minutes depending on the traffic.
Mumbai's taxis are allowed into Thane. The prepaid taxi service available at the airport is the recommended hassle-free way of getting to Thane. The fare you pay at the counter includes the toll you need to pay when you leave Mumbai.
The best way to get to Thane from Mumbai using public transport is to take the local train service. If you are coming from the airport, take an auto-rickshaw to Andheri station which is served by the Western Railway and buy a ticket to Thane. You need to take a southbound train towards Churchgate, get off at Dadar (which is the interchange point) if possible avoid peek hour journy if you are new in Mumbai specially between 8 and 11 am, get on the Central Railway Line and then take a northbound train to Thane. This method is recommended only if you are adventurous at heart and are not carrying any luggage.
Thane is also well served by long distance trains, many of which stop at Thane station en route Mumbai.
Two main roads enter the city from Mumbai. The older one is the Lal Bahadur Shastri Marg (commonly abbreviated as LBS Marg) and Eastern Express highway. Both of them are toll roads - the toll gate (called naaka) for the former is called Teen Hath Naka while that for the latter is called Check Naka. The toll at both the naakas is 25 rupees one way which is somewhat unfair because there is a huge difference in the condition of the two roads.
LBS marg is invariably congested, encroached upon and potholed. It goes through the heart of Mumbai's Mumbai/Central Suburbs. The Eastern Express highway is wide, well-maintained and smooth. It goes through an uninhabited area where development is prohibited. Use this road to get in, even though the distance will be slightly more. The roads intersect at Marathon chowk ("Marathon square", because that's where the Thane Mayor's Marathon starts from.). LBS marg then goes right through the city, while the Eastern Express highway skirts it and turns into NH - 3 highway to Nashik and Agra.
There are very few BEST buses that go right up to Marathon Chowk (It is known as "Teen Haath naka")- 399 and 496 Ltd. Check the BEST site  for more. Once you get off, catch a TMT bus or auto-rickshaw.From this spot Thane railway station is hardly 10-12 min walk if you go by following Gokhale Road , & auto should not cost more than 10-15 Rupees.
BEST bus kinglong number 700 for Borivali, from Thane railway station east, frequency every 15 minutes. early bus 6.00 AM last bus 11.30 PM
Maharashtra State Road Transport Corporation (MSRTC) also called ST bus service from Thane railway station west frequency every 15 minutes.
BRTS Buses originate from Cadbury Junction for Backbay and Nehru Planetarium
Most private buses from various parts of the country will stop in Thane. Maharashtra State Road Transport Corporation (MSRTC) buses will ply from various parts of Maharashtra to Thane.
Thane Municipal Transport (TMT) commuters helpline number 1800-22-9901 to get the information about TMT buses
Note that auto-rickshaws from Mumbai cannot enter Thane city limits. You will have to change over to another one at the toll-gate.
The area around Masunda Lake, called Talao pali ("talao" meaning lake) is the heart of the city. Most of the important landmarks are located here.
Ram Maruti Road, Gokhale Road and LBS Marg are the important roads to criss-cross this area. The other important road is Ghodbunder Road which connects the eastern and western halves of the city and joins the Eastern Express Highway.
Thane Municipal Transport (TMT) runs a bus service through the city and is a very convenient way of traveling to remote places in thane
The most common way to get around in Thane is to hire an auto rickshaw. Payment is by meter. The amount to pay, however, is not the amount shown by the meter, but scaled up by a factor which changes whenever there is a rate adjustment. Check the tariff card for the right fare. Ensure Tariff card is stamped & signed by RTO.
If you are on a day trip from Mumbai, one of the options is to catch a taxi in Mumbai and use it to go around Thane city. You cannot flag down taxis in the city as you won't find any, but you can certainly hire one.